Wednesday, December 12, 2012
Interesting Fact: PBS KIDS released data from its annual holiday tech survey that finds this year’s hottest gift for kids will be downloadable. In fact, fifty-eight percent (58%) of parents of kids 2-10 reported that they will “most likely” or “definitely” be purchasing downloadable gifts such as apps, games, e-books and digital music.
With Christmas right around the corner, we are all looking for those last minute gifts. Perhaps your like us and just need some entertainment for the car ride to the relatives house? Maybe you just need something to keep the kids learning and occupied during Winter Break? Well PBS Kids has you covered with 20+ educational mobile apps available to download. Here are some examples of apps that will sure to be favorites:
- FIZZYS LUNCH LAB Fresh Pick: Search for the Next Lunch Labber **Launching Thurs, Dec 13** Professor Fizzy is holding a competition to see who has what it takes to be the next Lunch Labber! Kids put math and problem solving skills to the test while navigating their way through the grocery store, coming up with the right amount of change in the check-out line, and successfully serving food to a room full of hungry customers. For iPad, Kindle Tablet and Nook Tablet for kids ages 6 – 8.
- DANIEL TIGER’S NEIGHBORHOOD “Play at home with Daniel” Playing is learning as kids explore bedtime, bath time ad play pretend doctor at Daniel’s house. For iOS and Android devices, Kindle Tablet and Nook Tablet for kids ages 2+.
- SUPER WHY! ABC Adventures: Alphabet Named one of the Top 25 iPad Apps for kids by TIME.com, kids can play five literacy games while mastering the alphabet. On iOS devices for ages 3+.
- DINOSAUR TRAIN “Mesozoic Math Adventures” Kids develop math skills and explore life sciences, vocabulary and concepts alongside Buddy, Tiny and Don. For iPad, Nook Tablet, Kindle Tablet for kids ages 3+.
- Martha Speaks Word Spinner Up to four players can join in the fun, with six interactive mini-games that both kids and parents can enjoy together while building storytelling and vocabulary skills. For iPad for kids ages 4+.
- Cyberchase 3D Builder Kids can help rebuild a town turning 2D shapes into 3D structures while developing spatial and reasoning skills. For iPad for kids ages 6+.
**Note this information was provided to me so I could share with my readers on behalf of PBS Kids**