Wendy's Chili

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Winter is just around the corner and I am starting to think about those warm comfort foods. Chili is one of them. I like Wendy's Chili and it is one of the healthier items on their menu I hear. This recipie ran in my local newspaper and I thought I would share it. Hopefully its as good as the real thing. You be the judge and if you do try it come back and let me know what you thought!

Ingredients:
2 pounds ground beef
one 29-ounce can tomato sauce
one 29-ounce can kidney beans (with liquid)
one 29-ounce can pinto beans (with liquid)
1 cup diced onion (1 medium onion)
1/2 cup diced green chili (2 chilies)
1/4 cup diced celery (1 stalk)
3 medium tomatoes, chopped
2 teaspoons cumin powder
3 tablespoons chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
2 teaspoons salt
2 cups water

Instructions:
1. Brown the ground beef in a skillet over medium heat; drain off the fat.

2. Using a fork, crumble the cooked beef into pea-size pieces.

3. In a large pot, combine the beef plus all the remaining ingredients, and bring to a simmer over low heat. Cook, stirring every 15 minutes, for 2 to 3 hours.

Makes about 12 servings.

Turn Up The Heat:
For spicier chili - add 1/2 teaspoon more black pepper.
For much spicier chili - add 1/2 teaspoon black pepper and a tablespoon of cayenne pepper.
And for a real stomach stinger - add 5 or 6 sliced jalapeno peppers to the pot.

2 comments:

Austin Baroudi November 30, 2012 at 9:38 PM  

I'm a big fan of chilli, especially Wendy's, so I'm definitely going to give this a try! Thanks for the post!

Sandra VanHoey April 4, 2014 at 1:19 PM  

Sounds so good, I had chili about a month ago but would love some more right now

Post a Comment